Thursday 6 March 2014

Disscussion

Story telling

Stories can be told in many ways in photography and through different forms of photography.
The first way I have found stories are told through photography is in a series of photographs physically capturing the change and development of a scene. They are laid out in chronological order so the order the story in is obvious to the audience.

In this photo you can see the action of the man as it progresses at the photo goes on. The photos are laid out in a simple easy to understand was so that the content of the story is not complicated with fancy layouts. I would like to use this style of story telling in my work by photographing things that are likely to develop and progress so that I can tell a story of that object.

Another way I found photos tell stories is through setting up a powerful scene with a character using strong body language and facial expression in order to tell a story through one single photo. In this photo the room is quite dark and dingy, the door is open yet the character in the photo seems as if they are trapped or unhappy in the location. There are many interpretations that the audience can take from this photo due to lack of explanation.

Setting up a scene from an already well-known fairy tales and Myths is another way I have found stories are told though photography. I have also found that the important conventions in fairy tale/ myth photos are the costumes, location and props that define each fairy tale/Myth from one and other as you can be seen very vibrant coloured costumes and ribbons against a darkish forest background is used in the photos above.

The last way I have found stories told in photography is with the comic strip style and layout. They use the bright colours, editing and speech bubbles in order to physically illustrate and tell a story. The conventions I have found with this idea are bright colours, over reaction facial expressions and body language, chronological order to the photos and speech bubble.

In my work I would like to try each of these ideas in order to complete story telling. To complete this I will try and take the conventions from each method of photographic story telling and use them to create my photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment